Thursday, October 11, 2007

Reality of War

Dear All,

I have so much I want to share tonight! It has been a busy couple of days. I have been meeting with different ones to get places to film the United Through Reading Program. It has gone really well and I will actually start taping some tomorrow! I am starting here at the hospital first and then have several units that I will go to and the PAX Terminal. It will be great to begin to get more involved with the troops! Boy do I wish Sherri was here! It will be slow as I only have one camera. I will ask headquarters if I can have another. Many of the MWR's have similar programs but none of which actually send the books and the troops have to send the DVD's themselves, so the troops are thrilled and can't believe there is no cost!

I thought of something you moms will be interested to here. At each of the DFAC/Dining Facilities as you go in the first room you go to is lined with sinks. You are required to wash your hands. Pretty good don't you think!The food is okay but not home and very high in carbs!

My room is in a pod of trailers. Two trailer face each other and each trailer has three rooms. In the A pod where I am there are around a hundred rooms. The trailers are all close together and since the base runs twenty four seven there are people sleeping day and night. I have not learned exactly the hours of all those around me but there are some who sleep during the day. When I am in my room I live in silence so I won't wake those who are sleeping. The walls are very thin. I moved my bed to the other side of the room so the air conditioner didn't blow right on me and the first night I did it I was startled when the gentleman in the room next to me coughed. His bed must be against the same wall as mine and I thought someone was in the room.

This morning I had a very early, 6:30 a.m. meeting, when I got back in my room I listen to my Selah music on my Ipod and it made me think of the movie The Hiding Place. There was a scene in there where all the people in the concentration camp gathered and sang in total silence Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus. It was so moving and a powerful display of worship. I have thought of that so many times lately as I sing at the top of my lungs in absolute silence. This morning my heart was full and it was such a sweet time of worship. I was so tired but full of enthusiasm and excitement for the work that is ahead.

Why such excitement.....Last night I stayed at the hospital and was trained and worked at the helicopter pad where they bring the wounded in. Oh my...what an awesome experience. No sooner had they showed me how it all worked and four helo came in with wounded and to work I went. What precious cargo to lift out of the helicopters. They have it down and the process is amazing. During the four hours I was here eight helicopters came in. One that came in was a detainee! IT is amazing to me to watch the Medical staff slip into action. They are all about saving lives. Troops or detainees or insurgents or innocent Iraqi women and children all are cared for with the most incredible care and respect.

I saw a big area of need. On the helicopters were ambulatory and non ambulatory troops. Some have not been wounded but are sick and needing some kind of medical care. They bring them off the helicopters and they wait in a room that is about 15 by 12. It desperately needs a touch of love and medical staff would love that but need help. They desperately need a flat screen TV. What they have is old and small! I watched them eat the peppermint candy that was there so this evening I brought over the candy that Laurie sent me. They were thrilled. They would like two big bulletin boards. One for notes that people send from the States and the other for notes from the troops! The staff does over and above to try an make these troops comfortable. I loved so much being there and helping and hope to do so regularly. Until the center opens I will have a little more time and can help but I hope even after the center opens to be able to help at least one night a week. I plan to renew my CPR certification so I can help in other areas.

Well I have got to get to bed! It has been a long day and tomorrow I will be busy with United Through Reading will travel.

Thank you so much for your support! I love so much receiving your emails and hearing what is going on there. I may not email you right back but it is great to hear! I have a new found appreciation for emails, cards and care packages. It is just a touch of home. It really doesn't matter what they say or what is in the boxes it is that someone cares and loves and supports you. So never grow weary sending our troops cards and care packages. I guarantee it means the world to them. Donna you are doing a great thing with Defenders OF Freedom. You will probably not know this side of glory what a powerful impact you are having and the difference you are making. Press on my dear friend!

A friend gave me a card before I left Texas and it speaks my heart today. Too many of us live life thinking we are making no difference in this world. You may feel you are just one person in this world but keep doing what your heart is passionate about because you may be the world to just one person. I find that to be so true. Serve each other just one person at a time. I sat with a soldier today at breakfast and our lives could not have been any more different. He was so intrigued that I had been married 33 years and was happy about that. We had a great talk and when I left he said to me "thanks for being nice to me, most good people like you don't really want to talk to me." I will probably never see that young man again. He was headed out today for a different camp up north but I was so glad I had that few minutes with him and to let him know how proud I was of him and for his sacrifice to our country.

Again, I love each of you dearly and miss you so much!
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

4 comments:

Jodi said...

You made me cry, with such pride today. Everyone in my office is just avoiding me! I just love that you are following your calling to serve.

Pa and Mimi said...

Linda,

What a wonderful story of giving! Kathy Petersen, a friend of mine in Texas said...you are a patriotic person and you need to see this blog and read about the woman involved with the beginning of the USO. Kathy and I have been friends for many years and share the same sense of pride in our country and our troops.

Thank you for what you are doing...things that most of us cannot. Please let the men and women serving know that we do care and are very concerned. I have worked with a program called Adopt-A-Platoon for 4 years now as it is the only way I can help.

My very best to you in this project of love.

Linda in Illinois

Anonymous said...

What a great blog Linda; thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Susan
USO/DFW

Kevin said...

Linda
I was so moved by the last two blogs. It is incredible what you are doing for the troops. On and by the way when you were in Dubai those guys and girls in the white uniforms were my SAILORS, not troops. It OK they understood and I do to. Laurie and I miss you very much.
Everyone that read what you write, read it as if you were talking to each of us, and can sense the deflection of your voice in the words, so you are here with us.
Stay in God's hands
The Chief