Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It's Getting Closer

Dear All,

We are getting closer and closer to securing a building for the center and we are thrilled. I continue to volunteer at the hospital as much as I can and it is so rewarding. I love going to the DFAC/Dining Facility not necessarily because of the food but because that is soldier time. It is always so fun to see where and who God sits me next to.

Keep in mind that this base has thirty thousand troops. The young man I had lunch with on Friday, I have run into him three times now! I emailed Gary Smalley as his material had been so helpful to Johnny and I some years ago when we were struggling. He emailed me back and is sending some of his materials. I am thrilled and thrilled to share it with this young soldier. I am not quite sure how else I will do it but there is a huge need here to share this material here on base.

Day before yesterday I was woken up early by an explosion. I looked out and back by the hospital there was a big mushroom cloud of smoke. For a moment I thought the hospital had been hit. The warnings did not go off so I knew it was not inside the wire. I headed out to take my shower and I no more got out my door and a step or two away and the sirens went off saying Incoming, Incoming! I darted back in my room and took cover. Very shortly they said All Clear, All clear! It is just so odd and still seems so unreal that this happens. It wasn't until that afternoon that we found out that it was a car bomb outside the wire but with in haering range. None of our troops were injured!

That afternoon while at the hospital one of the Dr. ask if I wanted to help with some Iraqi toddlers that were in the ward. Of course I was thrilled so once I finished up some USO meetings I came back here and babysat. What fun! Who would ever think all those BSF finger plays would be used here in Iraq. The two year old was actually ready to be discharge but did not have any place to go as mom was here also. The five year nephew and fourteen year old niece were here as well. The mom was hurt more serious. A mom is a mom in any country and I loved watching her try to love and nurture her son. We played with balloons and balls and it was such a sweet time for me. I came back the next day to help feed the little one lunch. Tonight I watch the family all be placed on a helicopter and taken back to their home town where the rest of there family is. There will be those there who care for the little one as mom remains in the hospital there.

Yesterday afternoon I was here at the hospital checking email and the sirens went off and it was a code red. Code Red means that somewhere on base there was a direct mortar hit. We all hit the ground and took cover. Fortunately for me I was here inside but Angela had just left to go run an errand so she had the joy of sitting out in a bunker for 15 minutes or so. There was a group of Generals from the states here tour the facilities so she spent that time in the bunker with them. Once the All Clear is up everyone has to report to their unit for accountability. Quite a little process. I must say that through all this I still have never felt as though I was in danger or my life threaten in any way. I feel very safe here!

Kevin, our regional supervisor is here and we spent the morning with the Mayor working on the building and then the afternoon, Shari, Angela and I making a plan for the rooms and the things we need and prioritizing the needs. We are pretty excited about what looks like it will be our new home. We finished up around 16:30 and they were exhausted and jet lagged so we all went our ways.

Me, of course came here to the hospital. AS I walked in the door different ones kept saying you have a truck for all your mail. Well I needed one. Between Angela and myself we had received 19 boxes today. Whew! I left and walked over and got the car from Angela and came back to load up all the boxes. 11 of the boxes were mind. WOW! Thank you Laurie! What fun!

Before I left I came by the computer room to check my email and weirdly enough I was the only one in here. I stuck my head out and ask if something had happened because that is really strange to have no one in here. They said that a trauma code x5 (meaning 5 injuried) had been issued and all went back to help. I knew that would be busy so I went back to see if I was needed and was immediately taken to a helicopter to help. This time it hit hard and touched my heart. It was the first time I brought in one of our wounded troops! There were several and emotionally I was not prepared for what I would feel and yet all I could think about is how glad I was to be there making eye contact with the soldier and reassuring him all the way that he was safe now and in good hands. As you take them out of the choppers you walk through this tent tunnel called Heroes Highway before you enter the Er. The whole ceiling of this tunnel is one huge, I mean huge American flag. That is what our heroes see from the stretcher looking up.

I went back to my room and had a good cry and thanked God I was here to help! It is an amazing thing watching everyone go into action and care for our wounded. After opening my boxes....and that was fun...I came back to the hospital and helped at the pad a couple more hours. I just love it!

I am waiting now for my nurse friend who is finishing up in the Operating Room so we can walk back to our rooms together. It has been a good, great couple of days full of so many new experiences and divine appointments! I am continuously surprised by joy as I serve here and see the hand of God in my life and in the surroundings he has placed me.

You are all the best and your support and encouragement means the world. Continue to support our military guys and girls as I stand amazed at their sacrifices for our country.

I love you and miss you greatly!
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have had my good cry. Your post has moved me deeply. I truly believe God is working through you and I pray He keeps His angels around you to keep you protected.

I admire you more than you will ever know.

Stay safe!

I love and miss you!

Kim

Melody said...

Linda, Again, love reading your blogs. I feel as though I can feel, touch, see and smell what you are writing. It's awesome! You just think you needed a truck for the packages...wait till the mailroom finds me in a box after I ship myself over there!!!! I didn't see any job openings posted for additional help over there with you. So I guess that's my only other option!!! Your awesome Ms. Linda...keep up the good work my friend! Love, Melody