Sunday, October 7, 2007

Making Progress!

Dear All,

It has been a busy couple of days! We have had Kevin and Charlotte from Dubai and Shari from Qatar here. We have met with many as we move forward getting this center up and running. I think we are very close to having a plan and action to follow! I can't wait!

Now for all you Poison fans...yes Bret Michael's was here! What fun it was watching the troops have SO much fun. We met him when he arrived here at the DV quarters and got pictures. The concert was great! Many of his songs and many just oldies that we love. The concert was in the theater and it was rockin. Nothing like watching the troops dance and rock out with their M16 strapped across their shoulder. They all really enjoyed themselves. They had the USO people come up front so I was right there in touching distance. We visited with this one married couple and were able to get them up front also. She was a huge fan and had made this big poster and everything. It was delightful to me to watch her husband work hard to get her the best seat in the house and how thrilled he was that she was having such a good time. About half way through I went back stage and stood on the stage where I could watch the troops. You all know me...I was just a crying as I watched them have so much fun! Just can't believe I am here! Standing there it was hard to believe there was a war going on right outside this area and thrilling to think these troops had a moment away from it all. A much needed thing for them.

IT has been overcast the past three days. I wasn't sure if it was overcast or so much dust in the air it looked overcast. At times there is so much dust in the air that it feels hard to breath. The temperature is dropping. Yesterday got only up to 95, which actually feels cool. The mornings and evenings are wonderful and so pleasant to be out in. We are stepping into a new season that I was not really aware started this soon. The Rainy season! Yes Rain! Picture that! It rained day before yesterday, not much but I understand it will pick up here soon. It rained only enough to stir the dust up more. Imagine that! The sand is so fine that it makes a paste and they say it goes everywhere and I will be dust it off of everything. Now that gets me excited!

I am getting to know some people that live around me which makes it so nice and certainly I feel much more at ease in my environment. Last night when I got back to the room the electricity was out and three of my neighbors were sitting outside. We sat out for quite a while until the electricity came back on. Two of my neighbors are interpreters at the hospital and they are fascinating. Noz has been here almost four years and has so many stories to tell. IT was interesting last night hearing what it was like in the beginning of the war. Mom, you would not have wanted me here then! There were not the fences and barriers that protect us now! HE said you could watch the bad guys. They didn't have the missiles and things that they have now but would through whatever they could at the troops and people here!

We have another walk through with the Air Force Engineers here in an hour and maybe after that we will have the answers we need and can start to move forward.

I am excited as I will start the United Through Reading this week even if I have to record they out of the back of my car. We should be able to do some here at the hospital and hopefully in several locations here on base. I will talk to some of the different commanders tomorrow and get that all going. Yeah.....time with the troops!

Well I need to go get ready for the next meeting! I love you all dearly and miss you so much!

In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Nice rent car!! Can I borrow it for my 2 hour commute on 635? It's great that you have been so busy preparing to make the USO an awesome place for our Bravest and Best! Waiting for you to cash in your IOU's!!!

A bunch of us went and saw Arielle perform in a musical at the Irving Art Center! She was brilliant! I told her mother about your new adventure! She'll be getting in touch with you!

Stay safe my friend! Much love!

Wendel Dickason said...

Linda, don't sweat that sideways picture. It's real easy for most of us to just tilt our flatscreen monitors 90 degrees. Of course, those still using the dinosaurs with the big CRT might find it a little more difficult, but if they just tilt their heads like they're eating a taco, then they can see it fine, too. :)
Wendel