Monday, October 29, 2007

I Have Missed You!

Dear All,

I am sorry that it has been so long since I have written to you! I certainly didn't mean to worry anyone but it has been necessary. Some questions about my blog came up from this end and I needed some time to seek the right counsel. The last thing I would want to do is write anything that caused concern or put any one here at risk. I took a copy of my blog to the JAG office for them to look over and advise. They did not have much to say and did not feel a need to read it. I have one other direction I need to go for the appropriate counsel and I will do that hopefully tomorrow.

It was very painful to think that anything I have said hurt someone! I will seek out the information and any training I need on security things and then continue from there. It may become necessary to password protect this but I will hopefully be able to do that where you are all able to have that password. That would just make it where someone just searching the Internet would not be able to open the blog.

It has been a busy week. The pool here is closing so this weekend we had a Luau and BYOGC (bring your own guitar - contest. We had close to 700 come out for the event and that did not include the many who helped. We had hamburgers and hot dogs provided by MWR, favored slushies and lots of fun games and prizes. This was pulled off in less than two weeks but fell into place and was a wonderful day of fun. For me just watching our troops laugh and play and have a great time was a joy. We had 8 bring their guitars and play for all. We had everything from country, Leonard Skinner(you'd loved it Rhenda), Zeppelin and some of the troops own originals. Amazing the talent here on this base.

We had some very distinguished guests come and spend the afternoon with us. The Base Commander and his chief of staff came and we put them to work as our judges for the guitar competition. The AF TSGT that won did a incredible version of Zeppelins, Star Spangle Banner. Fun was had by all! We will probably do it again for opening day of the pool.

We have several events we are helping with for Halloween. A Fun Run, and a Karaoke Contest. We will also pass out at the DFAC some candy bags we have put together. Good times with some America's finest and best heroes!

I continue to do what I can at the hospital. I have ask Johnny if I came stay a little longer after my USO commitment and be a Candy Striper here at the hospital! (I do hope I spelled that right please forgive if I did not) I just love helping here and find it so rewarding!

Friday was another wonderful day with the United Through Reading Program. I was low on books but even still filmed sixteen troops. IT is just so great. I will ask one of them this week if I can put their picture on here for you to see the set up. Maybe I will just read you all a book. HMMMM! Can I put video's on here? I will check!

I enjoyed church again on Sunday and find it to be such a blessing to worship with our troops. The three young men who sat in front of me this week I had met the day before and visited with them at lunch! They were finishing up their time here and will head home before the week is over. They were so cute and fun to be with. They always ask who is there for the first time and always ask those who are leaving that week to go home. That for me is always such a praise to know they are going home to their families. An answer to the prayers of so many of you who pray so faithfully for our troops!

Thank you to so many of you who have offered to send books for the children's UTR. That is a huge praise! All are greatly appreciated. Mary, yours came today and the timing could not be better. I was so low and was concerned about Friday and having some that the troops would want to read! Thank you, thank you! They are perfect!

To each of you thank you for your support and for your prayers. This is truly the most amazing journeys I have ever been on and I wish so much you were here to share it with me. I know through your prayers, emails, cards and carefully prepared care packages you are here with me and you walk with me every day. Last night after a long day with the Luau and all I came to check my email here at the hospital but found I was to tired to response to most of them so I headed back to my room. It was a beautiful night with a big almost full moon and the emotions ran deep as I looked up to see God's beautiful creation. I couldn't help but think how all of God's creation shouts his glory! What comfort to know that those I love could look up and see the same and to pray for those who see God's creation yet know him not!

I love you all so much and am so grateful for your support! I will keep you in the loop on the blog situations. Pray that God keeps these doors of communication open if that is his will and that it will be pleasing to him.

In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I was about to send someone to find you! You know I have access to a plane full, he he! I know you are safe, in His Hands, as you go about your work! Keep up the great job!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you spelled "candy striper" right or NOT it depends on how you REALLY meant it LOL

Camille said...

Linda, I've never met you, but I did volunteer some at the DFW USO. My neighbor,got me involved in it. My son has been in Iraq for 15 months. His tour is up and he reached what is home for now, Germany, just last nite. He will be getting out in Dec and coming back to TX. The USO is a great organization. You brought tears to my eyes knowing what all you do for our soldiers. I've given your blog site address to my sister and we will get some books sent to you. Keep your faith and know that you will be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Time to update! We have a binder in the center of all your updates and the cover is the photo of you by the rental car. When is a good time to come visit you? I was thinking of spending my vacation time over there with you!

I miss you!

Kim