Saturday, October 13, 2007

It's been a Month!

Dear All,

Hard to believe I left Texas a month ago. Time has flown. I woke up yesterday a bit overwhelmed and anxious. We have been here almost four weeks and it didn't feel like we were any closer to having a center than the day we arrived. Before the day was over that all melted away as I saw God open doors and give me opportunities with our troops to talk and encourage and just be there that made me glad for the extra time I have right now!

I went to lunch and sat next to a young man who was getting ready to head home on R&R and will meet his family in Dallas. Well of course that excited me to think he will see all your glorious faces when he arrives. Knowing the honor that is ahead of him thrilled my heart. I was able to give him the correct information for his family. AS we were visiting another young man sat down. I have found most do not initiate conversation. I never know if they want to talk or be left alone so I am careful as I engage with them.

This young man readily talked but seemed so down. The first soldier left and the other ask me how I made my marriage last 33 years. We talked and he shared that he needed help. His wife had announced the day before he left that she did not love him anymore. He is broken hearted as he said he thought he had everything the world had to offer in his wife and 15 month old son. He is trying so hard and doing everything he can to talk to her and begin to rekindle things. Before it was over he ask if I could meet with him occasionally to help him talk through some things. Of course that was right down my alley. His chaplain is letting us use his office. What a wonderful opportunity. I will certainly find time for that!

I left there emotional and so grateful for that little divine appointment. I came to the hospital toting all my Uniting Through Reading stuff and sat up the room. It was to start at 4 but by 3:15 I had a darling LtCol there ready to read. He was the sweet daddy I heard that evening in the computer room talking to his children, his little princess. From then until almost nine that night I had a steady flow of men and women there to read books to their children. What a blessing! Sherri Allen, you better hang on tight to you UTR position because girlfriend I'll be all about that when I get back. That was so fun!

For those of you who are not familiar with United Through Reading. it is a program that the USO has partnered with the Family Literacy Foundation to connect families through reading. I have new children's books that I set out. The troops pick out a book and I do a DVD of them reading the book to their child. Then we send the book and the DVD to the child. Many of the troops told their children all about their uniform and the stuff on it and the Helicopter Pad soldier started out with his headphones on and eye protection. It was all so cute and I had a blast talking to them or in my case crying with them. A couple had to start over as they got so emotional. What a precious program. I will be here every Friday to record them.

We had a big encouragement on our center today and so hopefully I will have good news for you soon.

To all of you, thank you for your support and encouragement. It means the world. It is amazing to me how every time I get a Little discouraged God opens an unexpected door that gives me even greater purpose and enthusiasm to be here. He is good!

I love and miss you all so much!
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up God's work girl, sounds like he really sent the right person for this job. If we can find out the soldier's names we can send boxes of books back with them. Especially those you speak with personally before they leave.

Anonymous said...

Oh Miss Linda! How awesome! I just believe I am getting to know so many of God's angels here on earth! I am still wishing I were there beside you every single day!

I miss you! You stay safe!

Love You!

Kim

Jane said...

Linda - divine appointments, indeed! God has you exactly where He needs you, spreading joy and love where sometimes it's difficult to find.
Have fun, enjoy those troops, and keep doing what you do best...loving others!!

Jane Talcott