Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Ribbon Cutting

Dear All,

I have Internet in my room once again. Yippy Skippy! I am going to try and go back and catch you up on a few events that I was not able to write about. I will start tonight with our recent Ribbon cutting!

It was a great day. After days and weeks of planning, working and pushing through red tape and brick walls we celebrated USO Balad’s ribbon cutting. Admiral Mike Mullen was present to be a part of that ribbon cutting. It was a proud moment to watch Kevin, Col Romine, Admiral Mullen and Shari hold the three foot ceremonial scissors and cut the red, white and blue ribbon. Present to observe this event and landmark in USO history were many troops, along with Robin Williams, Kid Rock, Lance Armstrong and Miss USA.

Our time was very short with the distinguished guests that came but it accomplished what it needed to and certainly made a memory in my heart. The DV’s were here for a concert that they did just prior to coming over to our ribbon cutting. For obvious safety reason here in “Mortaritaville” they don’t normally have entertainment venues outside, but it was the only way to accommodate the numbers of troops that wanted to attend. As for me, standing there at the concert and watching the troops sing and laugh and participate just blessed my heart. The stadium was full and the field in front of the stage packed with troops. Big military vehicles were parked on either side of the stage and troops were sitting up on them.

The center is beautiful. I will download my pictures and send them to you soon. Shari did an outstanding job planning and executing the remodel .The center is unlike anything here on base and I know will bring much joy and refreshment to the troops that come in. The doors are not actually opened yet as we wait on many little unfinished areas to be completed. In fact there is not one room that is fully operational.

Along with things not being ready we will also be very short staff through the middle of February. Shari will be on leave the first part of January, I will take leave the end of January and Angela will go right when I get back. That will make staffing the center very hard. The way our center is set up we will need to have two staff here at all times, one at the check in desk and the other walking around keeping an eye on everything. We are keeping the office open all day so we are there for the workers as they come and for those who stop in for a tour.

I must head to bed now but tomorrow will catch you up on my most recent move.
I love you all dearly and miss you so much!

In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The official huggin and kissin grandma's and Donna are MORE than ready to come volunteer and trust me ya ain't gonna be shorthanded when they are there. I am sure they will hit the road running as soon as they get the okay. I am jealous they are gonna see you. Miss you Laurie

Wendel Dickason said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendel, Martha and Deborah Dickason

Jodi said...

Thanks for the updates! We are all so proud of your work and your service to our Bravest and Best! It's good to hear you are going to be taking a leave soon. You have been so busy since you hit the sand! You'll need the rest. I did see your husband and daughter at the USO banquet and sent my love. Your family is truly incredible in their support for you, you already know that.

Donna roped me into doing your job the other day at the inbound. I brought some of the AF Academy football team in to greet the troops as they were waiting for their buses to take them to the hotel for the Armed Forces Bowl.

I know the center there is going to be an amazing place for our young men and women to step into and relax. Your special touches are just what they will need!

So proud to call you friend!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Robinson,

This is Melanie Barry (though now my last name is Swan) Hopefully you'll remember me from the early days in Coppell! I was visiting with Kathy Sieling over the holidays and she told me about what you are doing and directed me to your blog. I spent quite a long time (not to mention shed many tears) reading every one of your posts! Your story, and what you are doing, blesses me so much.

My husband has been home from Iraq for almost two years now (he spent 13 months there). I know how much what you are doing means to our troops and their families. Being able to read a book to their child(ren) is such a precious gift! I am sure that there are days when being able to do that is what keeps them going.

How can I help?? What address can I send books to? What type of CDs/DVDs do you need for recording? Is there anything else that you need? I know you are extremely busy, but should you like to, you are welcome to let me know via email. My email address is swan.mel@gmail.com

I will be praying for you!

melanie