Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving in Kuwait!

Dear All,

I know it has been a while since I sent an update so I hope to catch you up on things. Life has been very busy working on the center. They have almost finished painting and since it was the first time for this Iraqi crew to paint we have s lot of touch up painting to do! Shari arrived almost two weeks ago and she is working hard keeping things going on this project.

We moved into our new housing and we love it. They are dry trailers but the bathrooms are very close. It is a whole different environment than my old place. Quite a community type feel to it. We have the Red Cross staff on our row and I think they are not as happy about us being there as we are being there. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything that goes on in the room next door. Fortunately for me my neighbor works 10 at night until 8 in the morning so that makes it easier for me at night to not have to be overly concerned about making noise. Shari on the other hand has a neighbor who is here at night and he is VERY sensitive about any noise. Being that our rooms are also our office we are in and out and in each others rooms constantly. In the evening when we are there we leave our doors open and that way we can go in and out and visit with those passing by.

We have been so busy we have not been able to work at the hospital as much but we love it when we do. There was a mass causality a week or so ago and while we were at lunch the called for all medical personal to return to the hospital. We were going there anyway so we went on in and were able to help. We ended up taking all the litters or stretchers and cleaning them. You use a power washer to wash them down then stand them up in the sun to dry. Another part that has to be done and it felt good to be able to help. Again it was amazing to watch the staff and volunteers go into action and handle this so well and care for the injured Iraqi people.

We have met so many wonderful people and have had so much support and help. Our regional operations person was here and she got me a car so wow I am spoiled. It does really help though.

United Through Reading is going well and I am so appreciative of all the books you have sent. There is no way to describe how much this program means to our troops. One Airmen told me that his wife said their two year old son talk to his daddy all the way through the DVD and when they went to replay the DVD the little boy said “no daddy I’ll get us another book.” Did not quite understand daddy on the TV yet! They are starting to bring me pictures of their children and I will soon put together a bulletin board to display them. I kind of feel like they are all my babies now! Last Friday and Saturday I filmed 38 DVD’s. Isn’t that cool! It just blesses my heart to be a part of this program.

This next week I have several other unites that I will go to and film. The word is out and I could be doing UTR 24/7 if I could. Again thank you for the books and keep them coming.

Things started really falling into place this past week on the building but we kept running into one brick wall after another. The first of this week it was suggested that we fly into Kuwait and find what we need and then have it brought in on a convoy. So in a matter of hours we were on a small plane into Kuwait. I will say that was a nice way to travel and it was interesting being able to see a little of the terrain. Shari and I have had a good time here in Kuwait. Who would have ever thought a bath would almost make you cry and a toilet in your room would feel like such luxury.

The only things about coming meant that we missed Thanksgiving with our troops but it was necessary. God was good. The day was hard and emotional realizing how far away from my family I was. We were invited to a family’s home that are American’s but have lived here for seventeen years. They were delightful. Their home was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Bottom floor was a beautiful pool then there were four levels above that. The have a remodeling/decorating business and their home certainly showed off their abilities. It was a sit down dinner for 125. Prior to dinner we were entertained by singers. They had an amazing spread of food with all the trimmings and desserts that fit for the famous. After dinner a magician performed and then best of all they pushed the furniture back, cranked up the music and danced. Boy was that fun. It was a delightful evening. Kevin was here and his daughter and Shari’s son so in the absence of my own family I was very grateful for the new extended family God has giving me. The host and hostess were very gracious and made us feel very welcome.

We shopped all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and found a good deal of stuff we needed. The contractor we are working with from Balad came in and took us around Saturday. Hopefully we have made some progress!

We are now on the return process which who knows how long that will take. It is the hurry up and wait thing. I am back now. We ended up spending the night at the USO center in Kuwait and arrived here today at four in the morning. A little tired but feeling like we are moving forward.

I love you all and miss you greatly.
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow! All the things you are experiencing are so amazing. Thanks for sharing them with all of us.

You will be seeing almost 1300 books coming from the BOOKOMANIA contest between Saturday 2nd and 3rd shifts. Hope you can get some bookshelves ready! 3rd shift kicked our collective butts on this contest, so they now hold the title of BEST TEAM EVER and it is well deserved! They did an excellent job and managed to beat us by more than 2 to 1!

We miss you more each day!

Take care and stay safe!!

Love you!
Kim

Unknown said...

Linda: What ages do you need books for? I want to have a book drive here at work and get them shipped to you.
Keep up the good work.
Sandy Flournoy
Midland, TX

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.