Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Happy Belated Veterans Day!

Dear All,

Happy Belated Veterans Day! First and foremost I want to thank all my dear veteran friends for your service and sacrifice to our country. To my son John Micah, I am so proud of you and your service to our country and for the patriotism that runs so deep in your veins. Your choice changed my life. Blake I thank you also and am so very proud of you!

Veterans Day was another memorable day that will be forever etched on my heart. One hundred and fifty six soldiers, airmen and marines stood together and pledged their allegiance to our country and took the American oath of citizenship. It was so touching. The keynote speaker was the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. It was rather poignant to be sitting in what was once a beautiful theater built by the past dictator and ruler of Iraq that stripped his people of freedom and yet today that place was hallowed ground as troops representing fifty three other countries raised their right hand and took the oath of allegiance. As they stood to take the oath the aisles filled with theirs friends and battle buddies snapping pictures right and left. As their name was called and they walked across the stage to receive theirs papers and to receive the congratulatory hand shake and photo with the significant people on the stage their battle buddies captured just the right picture and often cheer out of excitement.

And me, I cried like a baby all the way. I found every part of it to be so meaningful and dear. I love watching the pride these troops had as they took the oath but equally as meaningful was the excitement and support their battle buddies exhibited to them. It was clear they knew what a special day this was.

I have much I want to tell you and will catch you up on everything this evening but I just couldn’t wait another day to thank our veterans.

I love you and miss you!
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do we need to send some kleenex??

Anonymous said...

Linda,

I marvel anew at all of your experiences. While your sweet son has changed your life, I know you are changing many lives by your selfless sacrifice.

Love and miss you!

Stay Safe!

Kim

Wendel Dickason said...

On Sunday as we were driving home from a Veterans' Day event near San Antonio, we had the news on the radio and heard about the ceremony and I wondered if any of the young fellows we heard reciting the pledge might have been guests of ours a few months back when we had a bunch of guys 'with limited English capabilities' come through on their way to language school (We drove a couple of them to their departure terminal because they didn't understand the directions!). Little did we even imagine you would have been there.
I believe I would have trouble attending a citizenship ceremony because I just get choked up hearing about them. Thanks for sitting in for us!
Wendel Dickason

Unknown said...

Linda,

John shared your blog address with me, and it's great to hear how you are doing. We are all really proud of you back in Texas!

Praying for you,

Larry Parsley

Jodi said...

What a very special day you had! I remember standing next to my mom when she raised her hand and became a citizen of this great country, I was 7. It is such a gift to watch as folks join us as citizens of a truly great country.

Anonymous said...

I have bought some books from Kohls "This is How Much I Love You" and "You Are All My Favorites" they are so adorable. Don't know how to get them to you! Can someone send me an address? Therese with Soldiers Angels soapinfools@yahoo.com

Wendel Dickason said...

Therese, Just in case you don't get my email, here's Linda's address:

Linda Robinson
USO Balad, Iraq
332 EMDG/USO
APO AE 09315

The post office has flat rate packages you can use and load up with as much as will fit. It runs about eight bucks, but you can cram a bunch of books and other stuff in them so they end up a real bargain.

Thanks,
Wendel Dickason

Ralph Marino said...

Hey Linda,

How are you my dear???
Yes, i finally checked this out. I know, had been forgetting.

I went to the airport yesterday for the Arival & the deal the Grand Hyatt did with the Girls' School with lunch for all.
It was good///

Talked to Donna; even told her I had to get on here.
She shared some of the great things going on & some of the "fun" things.

I had it on my Blackberry, but hadn't put it on my desktop.
I also didn't know what email you were using.

I have a buddy who is the PAO there: MAJ Chris West.
I told him to look you up, say hi; we were in Afghanistan together; he took over the night shift for me. A Christian guy also.

My email is: ralphm@cfaith.com.

Continue to be blessed and a blessing//
Love you,
Ralph