Monday, November 5, 2007

Busy Days and Books and Bagpipes

Dear All,

It has been a busy week but one that has some progress to show for it. First and foremost, we have a building. It will be perfect and we are excited to now move forward. We have a crew of Iraqi national who are painting and cleaning the building. It is quite a process for them to work on base. I don’t know what all that process consists of but I trust they have been thoroughly screened. Even with all the screening they are accompany by two armed soldiers who guard them as they work. They only work about two to two and a half hours in the morning and are gone before noon. If you want them to stay until mid afternoon you must provide them lunch. The guards have quite a job keeping them working. They would rather take breaks than work. A strong work ethic is not real apparent. It feels like it is going to take forever for the painting and all to be finished but they actually have made pretty good progress.

Supplies are hard to come by on the base. Finding and having enough rollers, buckets, extension poles and paint is a battle in itself. Of course one must realize we are in a war zone and supplies to help improve the esthetic of building is not, as it should be, a priority. We are fortunate to have some wonderful contacts that are doing everything possible for us. The base is thrilled at the thought of having a USO Center here for our troops.

In the process of all this I found an area that I think is so cool. On base they have an area set up with all sorts of tools that the troops can use. Though the materials are somewhat limited, troops were there making shelves, tool box cabinets, flag cases and one sweet soldier was making a beautiful little something for his wife for Christmas. I am not going to tell you what he was making, just in case she reads this blog. It was sweet and I was touched that with as few hours as he has off he chose to spend it making a treasured keepsake for his sweetheart. And it wasn’t even Christmas Eve! He planned ahead! WOW! Ya’ll know me and tools….I was itching to get in there and build something.

In the last two days books have been arriving in the mail for the UTR program. I am so excited and can’t wait until next Friday. Big thanks to my Mom, Aunt Ann, Don, Greta, Connie and Candy for all the books. I will now be able to go ahead and set up times in some of the other units to go to their headquarters and film their troops. With as many soldiers, airmen and marines on this base you could keep a person working pretty much full time just doing this program.

Now to the heart of my day! This week three Air Force Special Agents from our base were killed in an IED explosion. Today was their memorial. Once again I was so touched to able to participate in this memorial. If only the world and especially America’s could see how our “Fallen Heroes” are honored. I was intrigue and awe struck by the reverence and valor I saw displayed throughout the entire hour and half ceremony. The unfolding and folding of the flags, the firing of the guns and the bagpiper playing Amazing Grace all spoke loudly of the honor and value placed on the lives of these three who sacrificed all for me. There were no details left unattended. The words prayed and spoken by those present were not only a tribute to these three beautiful young service men but also a testimony to the country they loved. I couldn’t help but think of their mothers, fathers, siblings, wives and children who were at home grieving. I pray that God Almighty will comfort them during this time of pain. I pray the communities they live in will embrace these families not just today or through these initial weeks but will stand by them for the many years to come.

At the end of the service as the bagpiper played, those that served side by side with these three walked up in pairs to the traditional boots, helmet and gun to say their final goodbyes. To watch them stand and so reverently salute then kneel by each pair of boots and grieve absolutely took my breath away. I’ll never be able to express all the emotions that ran through as I watched. Sorrow, pain, pride, joy all mixed up together!

I sit here tonight only seven weeks into this journey and find myself so grateful for all your support and encouragement. Every card, email, package and book you send speaks volumes to me of how loved and supported I am. Johnny Robinson, you are my hero! Thank you for supporting in this journey and for being that constant hand of support.

I love you all so dearly and miss you greatly!

In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on the progress there and for sharing your daily experiences with us; I've really been enjoying your blog.

Susan

LuLu said...

Hi Linda, I hope you are well. The kids and I have come up with 3 boxes of books for you and lots of candy. We will be getting more books from the school the kids are going to try to collect them I hope it helps God Bless you stay safe. We miss you lots out at the airport! LuLu Josie and Jake

Jodi said...

Hey! Saturday 2nd shift challenged Saturday 3rd shift to a "book raiser." So be prepared! Satuday 3rd shift plans to out book them 3 to 1! You better make some friends out there to help build some bookshelves for you!!!

I'm so proud of you! You represent not just the USO so well but all of us who love our Bravest and Best! Keep up your awesome labor of love!!!

Nadyne said...

Linda, thanks to your "Jean" the NM Delta Kappa Gamma is onboard for your books! We will be sending books as soon as we can collect them. We are so proud of you and your commitment to our servicemen and women! God bless you.