Saturday, November 10, 2007

Making Progress

Dear All,

The time seems to be flying and things for the center are moving along. They have just about finished painting the rooms that they can and now our work begins doing touch ups and all those things that will make the center homey. This was the first painting this crew had ever done and I guess for a first they did pretty well. Many drips, drops and run found their way to the floor and we are hopeful they come up.
Shari is here and will be with us through the end of the year and we are most grateful for that. She is a delight and a very hard worker and I am excited about learning from her.

Big news! I am moving! Shari needed a room and they found her one a couple miles away from mine in a different pod. It is a little smaller pod and the bathrooms are much, much closer. We did some checking and talked to the appropriate people and were able to secure me a room in the same area and in fact just across from Shari’s. For me this is a real blessing. One the bathrooms are very close and there is a walk way to the showers which will be wonderful when the rainy season begins. With Shari and I there together we will be able to do the battle buddy thing which will make us both feel much more secure. I couldn't be more pleased and relieved. The room is almost exactly like what I was in so it will be an easy move.
The weather here is wonderful. It is in the 50’s when I get up and gets up in the 80’s during the day. Very pleasant! I think I am a little intimidated by the rainy season that everyone talks about. I had two people ask me today if I had my rubber boots. That sounds attractive! They say it is really yucky and messy. The sand is so fine is just makes a paste and it goes everywhere. I am sure I’ll have much more to tell you about it when it is here. Until then I will enjoy these beautiful days in this land where it all began.

Shari came with me to the hospital yesterday and was trained at the helipad. We stayed for a couple hours and she thoroughly enjoyed it. We will enjoy the time we have right now to be there as I know once the center is open it will be a little harder to go. I am still hoping to work my schedule where I have at least one night a week where I can go and help. It is just so rewarding and I love meeting all the different ones that come to volunteer. I have so many special friends there at the hospital. Most will go home sometime during the first of the year so then I will have a whole new group to get to know.

United Through Reading is tomorrow and I am always excited about that. I have received a good deal of books and that makes it so wonderful. I received a big box from Pat and Jill yesterday!

Well I must get to bed. I love you all dearly and miss you so much.

In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda!!! We miss you! We'll be thinking about you over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Glad to hear things are progressing with the facility. I'm sure the soldiers will appreciate all your hard work. Take care! We love you!