Thursday, September 20, 2007

Changing of Command

Dear All,

Another amazing day here! We ran some errands this morning, rented a car and met up with Angela's husband. We had a meeting with a Col who is going to be a hug help to us! He is trying to set up another meeting with several significant people here to help us get things going.

We have a meeting in the morning early with the staff here to get a better feel for what their expectations are for us. This will not be in any way shape or form a traditional USO. We are trying to figure out what we need to do and how to best expedite that.

This afternoon while Angela spent some time with he husband I came back to the hospital to work a little bit. I was returning some email and they announced over the intercom that the bus was leaving to take those who wanted to go and see the "Changing of Command" ceremony. I thought why not so I picked up my stuff and headed on out. It was out in this hanger name Tuskegee Army Airfield. This was the changing of command for the Tuskegee airman 332nd Expeditionary Medical Group Squadron. They started with a welcome then the National Anthem and I started crying and did not stop through the whole thing. It was just so special being there and witnessing and hearing the stories of what these troops had experienced in the past five months. They have had a 98% survival rate. I got to meet and talk to the General Fields and many of his staff. That is who we are working with at the hospital. Once again I was just so proud and honored to be there and be apart of honoring those who are giving so much!

I don't have my computer....it is over at the Information Technology lab being imagined and made ready for me to use on base. Security you know! Hopefully I will get it tomorrow and can download the pictures I have taken and start posting them on here for you.

Tomorrow we will begin to start the makeover of the space we have here and sketch out what we need and want. Our first task will be to find furniture and a way to get it here. We are looking for comfortable chairs/recliner type and sofas. We are going to have built dividers for the computers and booths for the phones.

Time to get this done.
I love you all and thank you for your support.

In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,

I am so glad you are blogging this exciting adventure. One day you will be able to use this blog for your notes when you write your book about how you helped the war effort! Please post a wish list when you start getting an idea of the things you want and don't forget to let us know of things you need or want for your personal use there as well. Take care and stay safe!!!

Kim

Wendel Dickason said...

Linda, I'll be following your 'adventures' regularly and passing on your articles to everyone on my Tuesday crews just in case they don't get the chance to log on here.
Daughter Deb has shipped CDs of the pictures taken at your sendoff, so you should be getting them one of these days. We got to watch (and photograph) the shower of affection from the flight line tower and were told of the announcement made by the pilot. We figured it would probably embarrass you, but hey, that's what your gettin' paid for!!! ;)
Take care of yourself and please let us know if there's anything we can take care of for you (do you need Aloe Vera for your sunburned feet?).
Wendel Dickason

Donna said...

Sounds like every day has been an exciting adventure for you! I know you must be cherishing every opportunity that is coming your way. I love you girlfriend, am so proud of you and miss you!

Donna

Unknown said...

I know you will whip that place into shape!

I'm thinking of you, my friend. This is such a great journey for you....take care.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I cant wait till your next blog!

I pass your site around to all I know, we are ALL praying for you!!!!


We love you!