Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sand Storm

Dear All,

Busy fun days here for me! Though we have more staff now I am still as busy as ever. I am enjoying every minute of these last days here and trying not to miss a thing.

We had a bizarre sand storm last week. Different from any of the others we have had there was no wind. It was more like snow storm. The sky went from clear to brown to yellow to bright red. It was almost eerie. As you would walk outside you would get sand flakes on your clothes. That morning when I got up it was like footprints in the snow.

1200 Sand Storm outside my room...

1300 Sand storm outside my room








1400 Walking out from bunker.... Teresa and I ran some errands that afternoon and had the opportunity to go down into one of Hussein’s big bunkers that are on base. They are all over everywhere, some of which are used by different units but most left vacant. They are refurbishing this particular one for office space for a new unit coming in. It had it’s own air filtering system that would have made it nuclear war proof. All very interesting! From the outside they look like pyramids and they go down as deep as they are tall. I have always thought it would be cool for the USO to have one for a center. I can just see the whole side of it painted with the USO logo.

I have been packing and mailing stuff home as the day to leave is approaching fast. I am hoping Angela gets back from R&R before I leave. I can’t imagine not getting to say goodbye to her. She has been such a joy.

I love you all and will see you soon.
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when do you actually leave to come back? travel safe!