Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bittersweet Goodbyes

Dear All,

The days are drawing close to departure and the goodbyes get harder and harder. Mixed with the sadness of saying goodbye there is a deep sense of satisfaction that I have completed the job God ask me to do so many months ago. The tears are full of great joy and blessing that this year has forever placed deep in my heart. The year has not been without pain and sorrow and conflict yet I know in time those things that were hard will only prove to strengthen and grow me as God desires.

The United Through Reading program has been the number one highlight of this year. Being so connected to the moms, dads, aunts, uncles and grandparents of our deployed families has etched in my heart memories that will always be cherished. Their tears and emotions touched me deeply and allowed me to see how important this program has been to our military families. From generals to PFC’s love for our children runs deep and strikes cords deep within that rank cannot hide. Your gift of books has made this possible and down the road will be recognized as one of the factors that made a difference in this war.

Tuesday was my last day at the Special Forces compound. The army side surprised me at the end of the day with a special presentation. Many of the moms and dads came and expressed their appreciation for the program. I was given the traditional army certificate and the Special Forces coin. Their love was warm and so meaningful to me. The Air Force side did the same at the end of the day. The Chaplain thanked me and gave me the unit t-shirt and coin then stepped up to his keyboard and sang to me “We love you with the love of the Lord”. With both groups I tearfully thanked me and feebly expressed my appreciation to them. I pray someday that some of our paths cross again.

Today a young Captain came by and handed me a flag that he had had flown for me on 9/11 and had carried with him on a Half marathon he ran that day. I was so taken back and touched and his words of thanks will always be near and dear my heart. Another young man ask for my email so he could keep in touch. I remember him when he came in through Dallas nearly two years ago on emergency leave. His family was there to pick him up as their older son and this young man’s brother had been killed by an IED here in Iraq. When I talk to this soldier shortly after the center opened and remembered who he was I have prayed for him and his family. He is such a sweet young man and I am so glad to have crossed paths with him. Pray for encouragement and strength for this family.

Last and by no means least, I am standing in the need of prayer myself. I went to space block for my flight out of here only to find out my military travel orders expired in June. I have made all the appropriate calls to the USO higher ups and am totally dependent on God’s providential care and intervention to expedite these orders so I can fly out of here the first of next week.

I love you all dearly and your support has meant the world to me. See you next week.
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda is coming home!!! Linda is coming home!!! I have missed you so much and can not wait to see you! I hope the travel situation gets taken care of soon. If not, I imagine Johnny Robinson will find some way to come over there and get you. Have safe travels and get home soon!

Kim Caylor