Monday, January 21, 2008

R&R

Dear All,

Yippy skippy! I am on my way! I got out of Iraq yesterday and spent five hours sitting like a sardine in a C1-30. I unfortunately did not get a direct flight into Kuwait from Balad. We made two stops and each time a few got off and more got on. Our last leg we were jammed packed in that plane. For the day, I totaled three combat take offs and two combat landings and one normal landing in Kuwait. (Combat landing not necessary in Kuwait)I landed in Kuwait late in the evening and could not find any of my USO counterparts and the USO Center was not open. I decided to take the military bus into the airport and get a hotel from there.

You have to wait about thirty minutes for your luggage to arrive. It comes in on a big pallet on a fork lift and is placed out in an open graveled area. A little different than DFW Airport. I had to get my orders stamped and have all my battle rattle (vest and helmet) stored. I missed the bus by about 15 minutes and had to wait until 01:30 to get the bus in. I walked around the base and had McDonald's to eat. Who would ever think I would get excited about a McDonald's hamburger. I made a couple of phone calls and the wait went really fast. You wait for the bus in the R&R check in area. I sat through the briefing that they give the troops getting ready to head home on the R&R flight that goes into Dallas. I talked to several that were going to Dallas and ask them to tell you all hi.

I finally arrived at my hotel at 3 in the morning. As I crawled into bed all I could think of is how much more appreciation I have for our troops. Going on R&R is grueling! Once the troops arrive in Dallas they have been through so much and have to be absolutely exhausted. They have it all very organized but it is still quite an ordeal. Once they get to Kuwait they sometimes have to stay there a day or two. They sleep in tents with fifty others. I felt very blessed to be in a very nice hotel and able to get a little rest before I head out to meet Johnny.

I slept until I woke up this morning and had a very nice quiet day. I even got a pedicure and manicure. I have to be at the airport early, early in the morning. I will have another night alone in London then will meet up with Johnny. I just can't wait.

I just wanted to say hi and let you know I am on my way on R&R. I was able to get so much done at the center before I left and that felt great. I had troops that came and volunteered and helped. I had so much fun with them and getting to know them. One night I got pizza for eight airmen that came to do all sorts of little jobs. They were such a help and were so fun. They all leave in my housing area and had been asking and asking to come help so I put together a list of things that needed done and they got them done. They also did the United Through reading for their children while they were there.

We will check in once we are in the Islands.
I love ya'll and appreciate so much your support and help. The books you are sending are making such a difference and enjoyed by our troops and their families so much.

In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Linda! Have such a great time honeymooning with Johnny Robinson! It is a much needed and deserved break and I know being able to be together will greatly lift both of you. I love and miss you greatly!

Kim

Jodi said...

No more posting until you are back from R&R!!! Hugs!

Emily Macdonald said...

You were on my heart tonight,so I decided to check in on your blog. So happy to hear you will be seeing Johnny soon! Will pray for a wonderful refreshing time for both of you.
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

God surely smiles on yours and Johnny's commitment to Him and to each other. EnJOY!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful R&R! Glad you received the books I sent and thank you so much for the thank you note!
Question, do you send the book they read with the video to the children? Not sure if you do that and this is why you need more books?
Enjoy your rest, you have worked so hard!
Therese