Monday, June 9, 2008

I Fly Away

Dear All,

We are experiencing bad sand storms here. You would not believe the inside of our car. When I get in it to go somewhere I have to turn on the windshield wipers to clean the sand on the wind shield so I can see out. It is nasty!

I was up and off to church this morning before going into the center. Our music tends to be the more contemporary worship songs and it is lead by a very humble young man. The worship team consists of troops from the Army, Navy and Air Force. They do a good job of leading the worship time. We had sung a couple of contemporary songs and then he went right into the old hymn I'll Fly Away. I grinned from ear to ear as it took me back many years to Irving Bible Church on Finley Road. I remember well one Sunday probably in the late 70's the choir was singing I'll Fly Away and a dear friend Rick Knight was in the choir that Sunday and was truly enjoying and worshiping as he sang and the memory of him was forever etched in my heart that day. When I think of him I always go back to that place. It was fun to stand there this morning a half a world away from Finley Street and remember such a sweet memory. Rick Knight you blessed my heart today.

The center has been unusually quiet and slow the past couple of days. The main thing the troops want is the Internet to instant message with their families or phones to call home. There is almost always waiting lines for those. Our snacks are pretty slim picking these days. We are grateful for all the Girl Scout Cookies that have come our way. If we did not have those some days there would not be hardly anything. The PX runs out of stuff so quickly and they limit us to buying only two of many items. Chips and things like that! I know I opened at least fifteen boxes of Girl Scout cookies today and I believe Angela did at least that many herself. It does not matter what we put out they eat it.

We had a USO tour come through today also. It was Operation Hoop Talk! Basketball coaches from several colleges. They walked through the center and visited with the troops and sign pictures for them. It is always fun to have surprises like that for the troops. They were supposed to be in Baghdad but the dust storm kept them in Balad. Fortunate for us!

Well I just wanted to say Hi. I am trying to write more frequently and give you more of the daily flavor of life in Iraq. Pray the sand storms go away. Sand Storms also mean mortar attacks so we need the sand to just stop blowing.

I love you all dearly and thank you for your support.

A Big Happy Birthday to my Johnny. You're the best!
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing such a great job "filling us in" on the day to day of your life there. Would have loved to see you when you were home, but I'm sure you were lovingly overwhelmed with friends and family. We are all so proud of you!! Love the picture of you with Johnny and the kids!
Love,Cheryl M

Anonymous said...

I guess the "I'll Fly Away" means no blogging lol. Ya need to say hey to us
Laurie

Shelly said...

Holy Cow! You were or are in Iraq! How could Stacey not tell me this? Crazy! I have loved reading your bloggs and it was fun to catch up on your end of the planet!
Shelly McDaniel (Lee)- Stacey's friend

Mimi said...

Hi Linda, Carolyn here!! I got onto your blog through Stacey's. I have read some of your stuff from time to time, as Jerry has sent them. I am amazed at what you have been doing this past year. I will need to go back further in your posts and get better informed in all of it. May God richly bless you as only He can for following Him in this endeavor of service to our troops.
I, too, have enjoyed posting on my blog for the past several months. It is such a great way to express thoughts and share our lives with each other.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just became a member of this forum here and I would like to be a member of it. Just love the environment here. Great job by the mods and every member here.

I like the quality of messages posted by everyone and plan I can do that for you all too. Just to start off, I found a cool website called
[url=http://www.home-businessreviews.com]home business reviews[/url] that reviews various cool make money home business opportunities. Anyway website owner earn's more than 500$+/day. He discovered some very great money making opportunities.

Because I found that these home business reviews worked for me I decided to post it here so you also can make some extra bucks in your free time. Owner of this site also discovered really simple way make some extra money just taking [url=http://www.home-businessreviews.com/Surveys-For-Money.html]surveys for money[/url]. Anyway if you need to make some extra money feel free to check out this site. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Anyway, look forward to great conversation and hanging out here often.
www.home-businessreviews.com

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!