Monday, May 5, 2008

Starting Home for R&R!

Dear All,

I’m on my way. I had no issues getting on a flight out of Balad and it looks like everything is a go to be home as planned. I am very excited about flying on the R&R flight with the troops. After meeting that flight for so many years at DFW it will be fun to see the whole process. Here in Kuwait I am staying in transient housing just like the troops and going through this process just as they do.

My last day in Bald before leaving on R&R was bitter sweet. My Col friend who flew into Iraq with Angela and I back in September left out for good. He has become such a dear friend and has been such an encouragement to me these past eight months. I am thrilled for him that he will be home with his family but will greatly miss him. While seeing him off I saw several other of my SF buddies and said goodbye to them also.

That night two of my UTR dad’s who are doctors at the hospital invited me to dinner. They are precious young things who have seen more in the four months they have been here then most in a life time. They will leave out for good while I am home so this would be our farewells also. What a treasured evening! They were my singing dad’s who sang children’s Bible songs on their UTR recordings and often prayed. They were a blessing from beginning to end. They brought me a gift that will be forever cherished. It was a framed picture of the three of us at the Toby Keith concert and also their ER coin.

I am laying here on my bunk in transient housing and enjoying having time to reflect over these past eight months in Iraq. There have been so many adventures and life experiences that have impacted me greatly but none more precious than the relationships of so many troops that will always be remember. My dear Angela who has experienced this adventure with me since day one, is a joy and a bright spot as I watch her serve and take care of our troops. Her boundless energy amazes me and her brilliant mind astounds me. She always goes above and beyond!

I love my United Through Reading days out at the SF compound and at the hospital. I cherish that time interacting with our troops, often hearing their life stories, heartaches and joys. I hold dear my times with them. I will never stop thanking all of you who have supported this mission and supplied the books. I don’t think we will ever really see how far reaching this program is in connecting our troops to home and family.

Being away from my family has been the hardest thing I have ever done. Johnny Robinson has been my hero, always supporting me and lifting me in prayer. He has also become quite the poet. Often he writes me poems that are so precious. They are about the things I am doing or he is doing and they are such an encouragement. There have been ones about the UTR program and the children that impacts and even one about my grand puppy, Stella. Many mornings I have woken up to a hymn that he has written out for me or scripture that was on his mind. Those things always came right when I needed them most and carried me and sustained me through my day. He has been my rock on the hard days and held me up and wiped my tears from half way around the world. I am one blessed women to have a man like that in my life.

I love you all so dearly and without your support I could have never made it this far. You have all been wonderful. Your care packages shout in my ear how loved I am. I am not sure if I told you that the postal people know me and say I get more mail than anyone here on base. I am so proud of my mom and her support. She has been strong and I am so thankful for her encouragement. My mother-in-law or should I say my mother-in-love has been a huge advocate of the UTR program and has her teacher sorority sending books like crazy.

Amy, Alyson and John Micah are my pride and joy and I am so grateful for them keeping Johnny busy and taken care of.

I will see you soon.
In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

1 comment:

Wendel Dickason said...

Folks,
Linda got in on the R&R flight this morning about 11:45 (Dallas time), along with over 150 soldiers. She was met by a good size crowd of family, friends and well wishers...and a couple TV camera crews (She’s gonna be on the 6 O’clock news this evening)! She didn’t appear too much worse for the wear from her eight months overseas or from the long flight home, and she greeted everyone with hugs and smiles, and then went on to proudly represent the USO in TV interviews.
But she’ll probably tell it all in her own words once she has time to update her website

Wendel Dickason
USO Volunteer