Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bitter Sweet Week!

Dear All,

I am going in a little late today so I thought I would write to you before leaving. I was up early and out to where we rented our car to have the oil changed. While I was there we had a Code Red so I got to take cover there and wait for a little bit. One new worker from Nepal, when he heard the sirens took off running and dove into a connex that was close. I think he was a bit embarrassed when he realize that though we took cover the urgency was not quite as he thought. I won’t say time has made me or most complacent but by the time the siren goes off, whatever was coming, has already come. His buddies harassed him a bit but I patted him on the shoulder and told him it was okay. Better to do that than nothing! I remember my first and it does kind of rattle you some. Once the car was finished I took it for its monthly inspection. You have to have the car inspected monthly and the paper work you get is what allows you to get gasoline.

I went from there to do my laundry and it was wonderful because I walked in and there were three washers right there in a row. No waiting! Unheard of! I caught up on some computer In Kind stuff while I waited. By the way, I was picking up our mail the other day and one of the postal workers announced my arrival as I walked through the door. I was a little taken back and ask why , and he told me they all wanted to know who Linda Robinson was, the lady that gets more mail than any one on base. I grinned from ear to ear and in my head I saw each one of you. You have been amazing to provide and support this mission. I loved telling the workers there that it was a very support community of God’s people who wanted to do all they could for our troops to encourage and support them. You all got a hats off from all the postal workers. Thank you, thank you!

It has been a hard week in some ways. John Micah’s best friend , Blake, who I call my other boy, had a good friend from his old unit killed last week here. The young man had been in our home and it sadden me greatly to hear of his death. Army Sergeant Smith served his country well. I have thought so much about his family as they grieve and pray that God will encourage them and give them hope. I went down to the hospital to see if he had come through our hospital just because I knew that if he did he was honored and loving cared for as I see over and over down there. He had not come here. Tuesday out at the SF compound while I was doing the Untied Through Reading in the Chaplains office a young man came in looking for a book to read. I was the only one there at the time so we had a great visit. He is an Army medic and had spent the past month in the ER trauma ward in Baghdad doing some training. He had story after story and I found his strength and compassion for troops remarkable. Towards the end of the conversation I told about Blake’s friend. He knew exactly who I was speaking of and was one of the attending medics there that try everything to save this young man life. It meant so much to me that such a caring individual was there doing all that he could for Tim. I will probably never meet or know Tim’s family but if I ever get the chance I would love to reassure them that Tim was not alone when he died and that those around him were some of the most caring soul’s I have ever met. I came home that night feeling so blessed that God gave me that little gift of getting to meet one of America’s finest Army medics.

I had a very fun blessing this week also. One of John Micah’s friends who was based here came by the center and I got to spend the evening getting to know him. What a sharp young man. He had pictures of John Micah from when he was home on R&R and it just meant so much to get to be with him. Here is a picture of us together. Don’t be fooled that is near beer in my hand. We had a cook out that night at the center and they had near beer. Mom, near beer is non alcoholic! Tom wanted a picture drinking a beer with Rob’s mom in Iraq. Rob is what they call John Micah. He had some fun stories about John Micah and I love hearing him talk about my baby boy. I am thrilled for him as he has finished his time here and is on his way home.

It is now getting up in the 100's during the day, though today has cooled off and we are having quite the sand storm. I am not sure what the visbility is but it is bad out there. I am hacking and coughing.

Well I have got to get down to the center. I just wanted to say hi and tell you how special you are and how much I appreciate your support of me and our troops.

Well once again I can not get the pictures to upload. I will add them later. The joys of internet in Iraq. Nor will it allow me to spell check. I apologize for any glaring spelling arrows. I need Karen or Kathie to edit....

In His Mighty Grip,
Linda

No comments: