Saturday, February 2, 2008

Good Times!

Dear All,

We have had eleven absolutely wonderful days here together that will forever be cherished for both Johnny and I. We spent many days laying on the beach, saw what we wanted to and never looked at the time nor felt any pressure to hurry or rush. We are well rested, a little sunburned but more than grateful for this time we have had.

Wednesday we took a bus half way around the island to Puerta De La Cruz, a very quaint harbour town with a wonderful town square and old fortress from the 1400's. There were more cliffs than beaches but the beaches we saw had their share of topless bathers. HMMMMM!!!!!! I just don't get it! Most of the streets were cobble stone and full of people with cute little resturants and shops.

Thursday we took a bus tour to the summit of El Teide a dormant volcano. Quite a contrast from the beautiful sunny beach to snow. The bus ride up was something else, up a very narrow winding road that at times made me hold my breathe. Johnny and I had chosen seats on the upper level right up front so it made for quite the trip. We rode a cable car up as high as you could go and hiked a short distance further. The homeward journey wasn't quite as treacherous and included several quaint little villages. With the two days of sight seeing we had pretty well been around the whole island.

We became frequent customers at our favorite little resturant. Four times I believe. It was a two and a half mile walk over from our hotel and the same back. I think we thought if we walked it we could eat more, but as I sit here at the airport I am finding my jeans to be a bit tight. Our next to last night we found a beautiful resturant where we dined in candle light with an amazing pianaist entertaining. It was a wonderful evening. There was not a dance floor but that did not stop Johnny from waltzing me around the area we were, once the other people had left. Another couple saw us and joined us dancing. Beautiful! So nice we went again last night!

We are now at the airport and will soon start our journeys home. This first leg we will do together then go our different directions once we are in London. I don't dread going back to Iraq but can not bear the thought of being apart again. Goodbye the second time I am finding harder than the first time.

I will be glad to know how things are in Balad. I do know we are on water restrictions and only we be allowed a three minute shower every other day. That's going to cramp my style.

That is all for now! I love you so and again am so appreciative of your support and encouragement.

In His Mighty grip,
Linda and Johnny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda,

I am so happy for the special time you and Johnny were able to spend together. I know it was just what you both needed to fortify yourselves for the time apart that is coming once again.
I want you to know you are one of my heroes for what you are doing. I hope by the time you get there, water restrictions are over! Who can take a 3 minute shower? I can't even get my hair lathered in 3 minutes, much less rinse the soap out!

Stay safe! I miss you!

Kim